Older Blind Independent Living Program

A older man and woman sitting at a table preparing cookies

The Older Blind Independent Living Program expands independent living services for people who are 55 years old or older and legally blind. Rehabilitation teachers located in Services for the Blind and Visually Impaired offices throughout the state provide one-on-one assistance to older people in adjusting to blindness and regaining or maintaining maximum independence and self-sufficiency. Older Blind Program staff present training for businesses, organizations and others to develop greater awareness of the abilities and needs of older Oklahomans who are blind. Legal blindness occurs when visual acuity with best correction is 20/200 or less or when side vision results in a field restriction of 20 degree or less.

What we do

If you are having problems with daily living (ie, dialing the phone, signing your name, cooking, identifying money, time telling, matching your clothing) a Rehabilitation teacher will work with you in learning how to perform these tasks safely, efficiently, and independently.

To be eligible:

You must be 55 years or older, legally blind and want to maintain or regain greater independence,

Older Blind Independent Living Services Program - OKC

2401 N.W. 23rd. Street, Suite 91 (Shepherd Mall)
Oklahoma City 73107-2431



(405) 522-3382


(405) 522-3332


Older Blind Independent Living Services Program - Tulsa

907 S Detroit Ave, Ste 500
Tulsa, OK 74120



(918) 551-4900


(918) 551-4935


How to Apply

Step 1: Call for an appointment

Step 2: An office staff member will help you fill out an application

Step 3: If you need a ride the office will make arrangements to pick you up and take you to the office.

Keys to Success

  • Keep in contact with your rehabilitation teacher
  • Let him or her know if you move or change phone numbers
  • Complete any assignments

    What to bring

    A great attitude and determination to be independent. Plus:

    • a picture ID (driver's license, state ID or military ID),
    • insurance/Medicare card, and
    • your most recent eye report (if you have it).