If hearing or speech problems make it difficult to access the telephone, the Oklahoma Equipment Distribution Program may be able to assist you. The Oklahoma Equipment Distribution Program strives to make communication accessible to Oklahomans of all ages through various programs. Qualifying individuals may receive services and equipment at little or no cost.
What to Bring
We are required to have a physical record of your total income in our files. If you currently file income tax with the I.R.S., we need a copy of your return along with verification of any Social Security income. If you do not file with the I.R.S., we need alternative documentation of your income. This must include a copy of a recent bank statement. The SCHAP program has very limited funding, and ends every year with a waiting list of consumers we were unable to serve.
To be eligible, a person must:
- Be a resident of the State of Oklahoma.
- Be 60 years of age or older for the hearing aid program.
- Provide verification (proof) of: Hearing or speech impairment (Not required for hearing aid program): loss severe enough to require use of TTY or amplifier to use the telephone.
- List any other contributing disability (i.e. blindness, visual impairment, physical disability, etc.) This must be verifiable.
- List income. (See form for details)
- Requests for Captioned Telephones (CapTel) require an audiogram.
The following people are qualified to verify applicant's disability:
- Any physician licensed to practice medicine in the State of Oklahoma
- Speech pathologist
- Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor
- Other individual or agency with records to verify disability
If you need more information, contact the Equipment Distribution Program Office. Please note: The hearing aid program only has enough funds to provide one non-digital hearing aid per person.